Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Clementine with Stem on Marble (+ Rome travels & Baroque painting)


Click to view auction
(auction includes detail and framed views)

I was traveling and painting in Italy the last time I painted a clementine with a stem on a marble surface. It was March 2009 during a mini-blizzard in Perugia.

This May, I will be traveling and painting in Assisi and Rome to study Baroque art. Baroque painters (i.e. Velázquez, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Rubens, Vermeer...) often depicted a dramatic moment using light & dark (chiaroscuro), and I think it is human nature to go towards (the) light. In my own work, I enjoy sharing a way of looking at the world by capturing a moment (of light) as it is happening -- however dramatic or subtle or simple it may be.

Ending tonight - at 8:15 PM EST

Click to view auction

If you're interested in my work, view my Current Painting Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,